Sunday, November 15, 2009

Modifying The Grow Beds

I didn't feel enough of the water flow was being filtered. This is, in part, due to needing constant water input into the upper pond to keep the waterfall flowing all the time. What I did was direct a lot of water flow directly back into the pond without being filtered. Coupled with the water being used for aeration, I would estimate only about 30% to 40% of the water coming out of the pump was being filtered at any given time.

Here is a diagram of the water flow as it was:

What I am doing to fix the problem is to modify 2 of the grow beds. I am adding a drain hole to the bottom of the bed that will be continuously draining water. The water input will be greater than the drain output, slowly filling the bed. Once the level reaches the height of the auto-siphon, it will kick in and drain the extra water. Once the water is drained the auto-siphon will stop and the cycle will repeat. I just finished the first mod, and it seems to work fine.

Anyway here is what the modification looks like:

And here is the actual modification:

Off to the next one tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment