Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Another Thought on Aeration

My methods of aeration described in my previous posts(Here and Here) on the subject were fine as far as aerating the water. What I didn't take into account was the water loss from being directed into the heated 100+ degree dry air. The water was evaporating so fast I was sure there had to be a leak. After searching for wet areas around the pond and not finding any, I came to the realization that there was only one explanation, the water was evaporating.

In extreme cases, you can lose up to a foot a month from evaporation. I was losing that much, without the extremes needed to cause such a rate. While it was hot, it wasn't that hot, and there was, practically, no wind to speak of. It had to be the sprinklers and sprayers directing fine mists of water into the hot, dry air. This seemed, to me, the only plausible explanation. So I tested my theory by removing the grow bed sprayers and directing the sprinklers into the pond, rather than the air. It worked. Evaporation was unnoticeable on a daily basis.

Well, I had to get aeration and I didn't want the extra cost and noise of running an air pump. So I looked back at the injection method, which I liked.

New Injection Aeration:


I now have the sprayers off of the grow beds and I removed the sprinklers at the pond surface. In their place I put injectors directly above the water surface to prevent any evaporation. The aeration is still as good or better with an evaporation rate of about 3 to 4 inches a month. They need a little adjusting, but here is an idea of what they are:



During the winter I can put the sprayers back on the grow beds easily enough without evap worries or problems. There might be concern for wind causing some over-spray during stormy winter months, I'll have to wait and see.

Meanwhile it's still 100 degrees outside and I'm looking forward to some cooler late fall days ahead. Not to mention the best holiday we have...Halloween!

cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment